Walking for miles, scoping white sand, to find just the right seashell is therapeutic for some. Others dive into the ocean to find their buried treasures. A shoreline contains many wonderful gleaming sights and signature places for a shell collector to look. Pick just the right beach for your happy hunting.
- Skill level:
Try to choose an out-of-the-way beach that is not often frequented by tourists. Plan your beach combing early or later in the day when the beaches are not as crowded and you can get the best pick of specimens.
Pick a beach that has good waves. Judge where the waves stop when they come upon the beach. Many shells are pushed along the shoreline and left behind after the wave crashes.
Search for shells where the tinier waves break before rolling onto the beach. You'll find many nice shells tend to congregate here, too.
Incorporate seashell collecting while on vacation. Visit places that have exotic beaches to widen your experience. This will offer you more exposure to seashell categories and water masses.
Find a Beach for Seashell Collecting
Explore the different areas of a beach to look for seashells. Go to the Conchology, Inc. website to find out more about different coastlines (see Resources below).
Pick a beach where you can snorkel. This is another way to collect seashells that are usually in good condition.
Gaze closely at the bottom of the waterbed and swim slowly as you snorkel. Keep an eye out for different seashell colors. Note that some shells blend in with the sand and rocks, so be sure and inspect diligently.
Look for seashells that gather in debris formed by wave motion, or that sometimes gather between big rocks along a shoreline.
Lift up rocks and dead pieces of coral to scope for seashells. Many shells are also found mixed in with sea-grass (such as a conus shell).
Learn How to Navigate a Beach for Shells
Tips and warnings
- The British Virgin Islands are known for good seashell collecting. Big conch shells can be found piled along the beaches after conch fisherman are done harvesting them.
- Have patience. You will not always find the perfect seashells, but keep at it. Enjoy the experience and take in all the sights and sounds as you walk along the beach looking for that one-of-a-kind shell.
- Follow the rules and policies of the beach you pick to collect seashells. Some local jurisdictions require permits for collecting on beaches.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for