Tracking a United States Postal Service (USPS) package online is very easy. All you need to track your package or packages is the tracking number that is unique to each package.
USPS makes tracking your packages easy-so you know where they are at all times. You can even sign up to have updates sent to your e-mail or e-mail piece (such as a blackberry) so that you know where your packages are as they arrive at each USPS destination.
As a sender, you can find out when your package is delivered to the recipient. As a recipient, you can find out when and where your package was shipped from and its estimated date of arrival. If you are the recipient, you will have to ask the sender for the tracking number or receipt number so you can track your package.
You can only track Global Airmail Parcel Post and Global Priority Mail with USPS. Regular mail can not be tracked using the USPS system. If you want to know when your mail will be delivered, it is advised that you send your mail either Global Airmail Parcel Post or Global Priority Mail so that you can use the online tracking system available at the USPS Web site.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Computer with Internet access
- Your tracking number or receipt number
Locate your tracking number from your USPS waybill.
Navigate to the USPS Web site (see Resources).
Click on "Track and Confirm" in the upper right hand corner of the Web page.
Enter your tracking number in the space provided.
Click Track. The information on your package will be displayed on the next page.
Tips and warnings
- Acceptance scan means that the package was received by the post office for mailing.
- Arrival scan means that the package has arrived at the post office for delivery.
- Delivered scan means that the package has been delivered by the mailman to the location written on the piece of mail.
- You need to have your tracking number or receipt number in order to track your packages.
- Make sure you enter your tracking number or receipt number exactly as shown on the way bill or receipt. If you type in an error, you will receive an error message. Hit the back button on your browser to try again.
- Regular mail sent with USPS can not be tracked. Only Global Airmail Parcel Post and Global Priority Mail can be tracked with USPS.
- If you do not have an Internet connection or you can not find your USPS tracking code, you can phone USPS at 1-800-222-1811.
- USPS only tracks packages sent with the United States Postal Service. If your package was sent with another carrier, you will have to check with that carrier to track your package.