Okay, so she made a mistake and dumped you. It's time to get her back. Your ex-girlfriend won't stay gone for long once she realizes you are the best thing for her. But you need to keep your cool. Here's how to get a girl back after a breakup:
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Play it cool. Act like you are okay with her decision to leave. Don't behave like a pathetic, blubbering mess of desperation. Be the person she wants to be with.
Live your life. When she sees that the grass is greener on your side of the fence, she will want to return to you.
Ignore her, but not completely. Don't answer the phone on the first ring if she calls, and try to seem like you are busy if she suggests meeting. Don't let on if you are moping around the house for her to love you again.
See other people. Jealousy is a powerful emotion. Once she sees you with other girls, she may start feeling territorial.
If you run into her at a party, act casual. Smile a lot (but don't seem smug). Make her laugh. Remind her of the person she used to want to be with. Don't act like an ex. Act like an old flame she never should have left.
Woo her--that is, if the casual act isn't speeding things along quickly and you've already made some headway. If you know she's a sucker for romance, wait until the time is right and begin showering her with gifts and attention. Be creative, not clingy. Only begin Operation Woo Her Back once you have your foot in the door. Don't go straight from violent breakup to guitar strumming outside her window.
Maintain contact with your mutual friends. That way, when she asks them, "How is <your name here> doing?" they'll be able to say, "Oh, he's great. We hang out sometimes, and he's tons of fun. Why did you ever leave him?"
Tips and warnings
- The key is to be visibly cool. You may be dying inside, but be suave on the outside.
- If she left you for a good reason, show her that you have changed. Don't tell her you have changed; demonstrate how you are different.
- Give her some time. You may feel like you have to get her back right this instant, but you'll be surprised how absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- Do not call her when you are drunk in the middle of the night and bawling your eyes out. Don't go to her door and throw yourself on your knees. Don't write her long, serious letters. That's a huge downer. She's not going to date you out of pity, and she does not want to be with a broken man.
- Forget about appealing to reason. Love is irrational. You'll have to win back her heart, not her mind.
- Watch out for your own behavior. If you see her with another guy or see a strange car parked in her driveway, don't play the crazy enraged ex-boyfriend. Don't let it get to you. You'll look like a monster if you burst in on her casual date with a baseball bat and a wild look in your eye.