The trick is to pack a few items of clothing that work well with each other and can be interchanged.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Toiletry Bags
- Travel Clothes
- Makeup Kits
- Luggage Sets As Needed
Pack both a black T-shirt and a white T-shirt, plus one sweater or cardigan.
Toss in your favorite pair of blue jeans. An additional pair of casual pants, such as khakis, will serve you well.
Bring two pairs of shorts if you expect warm weather or a windbreaker or jacket if it will be cold or rainy.
Remember to bring three pairs of underwear and two pairs of socks.
Pack your nightgown or pajamas.
Wear a pair of comfortable, casual shoes such as loafers, sneakers or flat sandals while traveling. Bring dress shoes if needed.
Include a small toiletries bag with just the essentials - hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, deodorant, razor, moisturizer and makeup. Pack travel-size toiletries, if possible.
Bring the requisite wallet, ID, cash, organizer, reading material and so forth.
Bringing a map, driving directions, and details about your destination is essential. Get ideas online and then print the information you need before your trip.
Tips and warnings
- Neutral colors work well on weekend trips. Choose a base color - black, brown, gray or navy - and team it with white, taupe or a bright color such as red or celery green.
- For women: Pack a neutral dress (black, white, taupe, gray or navy) that can be dressed up with sandals or dressed down with sneakers and a sweater. Wear one pair of earrings that go with everything.
- Purchase a space-saving travel bag with compartments.
- Avoid overpacking - you don't want to be stuck with heavy bags and more stuff than you need (see Related eHow).
- Leave expensive jewelry at home, as it's easy to lose on a trip.