Canada remains a land of promise for many Britons considering emigration. It has well-established ties with the UK, a shared language and many British people have families already in Canada. Also, unlike Australia -- the highly popular country for emigrating Britons -- it is only takes a plane journey across the Atlantic to get there. Canada welcomes immigrants provided they fulfil the requisite criteria.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Current passport
- Visa application
- Document proof of skills and qualifications
- Proof of finances
- Medical examination
- Disclosure and Barring Service check
Apply for a visa. Most people qualify for the common visa: these are issued on a points system that awards points based on age and skills. Canada wants immigrants who will benefit its economy: the more you have to offer in terms of skills, such as a trade, or formal education, the more points you score. You can assess your eligibility for a visa at Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Entrepreneurs and investors can apply for a special category visa, as can anyone joining a Canadian husband or wife.
Check out the documents required for immigration at the Foreign Credentials Referral Office website, which is part of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Submit your education and skill credentials for assessment by a designated organisation. When you receive your education credential report, submit it with your visa application. If you plan to work in regulated profession, you are advised to contact the relevant professional body in the Canadian region that you want to move to. You should find out what licences are needed and if there is anything else you need to do before you leave the UK.
Get a medical examination from a doctor approved by the Canadian immigration service. You can't use your own GP.
Apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service check. All applicants for permanent residence needs one of these. In addition, temporary workers, especially anyone working as a caregiver must have a DBS check. This has replaced the Criminal Records Bureau check.
Pay the required fee for the class of visa applied for. You can pay by credit card or with a certified cheque, bank draft or money order.
Submit your application with the accompanying documents to the office specified by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for the relevant class of visa.
Tips and warnings
- Submit your application online: you can then track your application's progress online.
- Remember that if you are emigrating with your family that the Canadian government may want to see that you have funds to support each family member. Check with the immigration service for current details of finances required.
- Canada does not admit people for the following reasons: criminal activity, security risk, ill health and for financial reasons.
- In addition, it does not admit anyone with a conviction for driving while impaired: this applies to alcohol and drugs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for