To make Skype video calls on your camera, you need a webcam with a built-in microphone, or a separate webcam and microphone. If you have the Eye camera for the Playstation 3 you can use this for Skype on your PC and avoid the need to buy extra equipment. However, you will need to download a driver, which is a small piece of software that helps a hardware device such as the Eye communicate with an operating system such as Windows.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Windows XP, Vista or 7.
- Spare USB port.
- PS3 Eye camera (make sure it is not plugged in to your PC when you start this process.)
Visit the Code Laboratories website (see Resources.) Click on the "Download Now, Single Camera" button in the section marked "CL Eye Platform Driver." Save the resulting file to your computer and then run the file once it is downloaded. If you see a security warning, click "Run."
Follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You will need to confirm you are happy with the user agreement and may need to confirm you want to install even though the driver does not have a digital signature. Click "Finish" when the installation is done.
Plug the Eye camera into a USB port on your PC. You may have to wait a moment for Windows to recognise the camera and match it up to the driver. When this is done, you'll be able to select the camera in Skype: it will be listed as "PS3 Eye Camera". The camera will capture both video and audio.
Tips and warnings
- The driver will let you use the Eye camera in several other Windows applications such as YouTube.
- As of April 2013, you cannot access Skype on the PS3 itself. Skype requires a standalone application and although this is available on many devices and operating systems, no PS3 app is available.
- Although the driver from Code Laboratories is free to download and use, the license only covers personal, non-commercial use. Technically you will be breaching this license if you then use the Eye camera for business purposes.
- Be sure to get the driver file from Code Laboratories and not a third party site. This will remove the risk of downloading a bogus file.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for