A beard can quickly become rough and unkempt if it is not looked after. Keeping a beard smooth involves taking care of the skin underneath the beard as well as the hair itself. If your facial hair is naturally coarse and unruly it will be harder to achieve a smooth look, but the right regime and products will help.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Soft bristle toothbrush
- Facial cleanser
- Natural, oil-based beard conditioner
- Light, fragrance-free facial moisturiser
- Beard trimmer
Exfoliate your beard with a soft bristle toothbrush while you take a shower. Scrub gently to remove dead skin cells, soften hair follicles and improve the overall appearance of your beard. Apply a mild facial cleanser at the same time to nourish the skin under your beard.
Invest in a natural, oil-based beard conditioner. After exfoliating your beard and cleansing your skin, apply the conditioner in gentle circular movements. Rinse thoroughly with warm water until all traces of product are removed.
Moisturise your beard every night before you go to bed. Go for a light, fragrance-free facial moisturiser. Massage it into your beard, covering all your hair and the skin beneath it.
Drink plenty of water and eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Your hair is affected by what you put into your body, and your beard is no exception.
Trim your beard regularly to encourage even growth and maintain a neat, smooth look. Shave any stray hairs on your cheeks or neck after trimming. The neater your beard is, the smoother it will look.
Tips and warnings
- Use a regular hair conditioner if you don't have a beard conditioner.
- Visit your barber for a beard trim if you want to treat yourself to a professional finish.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for