Google's Android mobile phone operating system is open source and, as such, easy to sync with different applications and platforms. Gmail is a web-based email service provided by Google. Contacts on your Android device can be backed up between your phone and your Gmail account very simply.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Check whether Gmail has automatically synched your Android contacts and your email account. Log in to your Gmail account. Once logged in, click on the “Gmail” label in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
Select “Contacts” from the drop-down menu. Here you will see the contacts saved to your account.
Check if the list is the same as the contacts list on your mobile phone. If it is, the accounts are synched.
Turn on your Android mobile phone. Access the “Settings” menu on your device's home screen or its "Apps" pages.
Select “Backup and reset” from the menu. Place a check mark in the box beside the label “Backup my data.” This will ensure that your contacts are backed up automatically to your Gmail account.
Log in to your Gmail account to check that the backup has been successful. Click on “My Contacts” and compare the list with your phone's address book.
Turn on automatic backup
Turn on your Android mobile phone and navigate to your “Contacts” menu. This will typically be accessible from your device's home screen.
Select the “Import/Export” option. Click on “Export contacts to SD card.” Wait for the data to be transferred.
Select “Import/Export” from the menu again. Click on “Import contacts from SD card.” It will prompt you to select a location to import the contacts to. Select your Gmail account. The data will be imported and synched with your email account.
Tips and warnings
- If you perform the manual backup more than once and end up with duplicates of contacts, you can delete them easily from your Gmail account. Login, then go to “More” and select “Find and merge duplicates.” Click “OK.”
- If you accidentally delete your contacts you can restore them from a previous sync via your Gmail account. Click on the “Gmail” label in the top left-hand corner of the screen. Click on “More” and select “Restore contacts” from the drop-down menu. Select a date from you want to restore your data from and click “Restore.”
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for