Getting rid of mould and mildew on silicone caulk is easy, providing it isn't permanently stained. Silicon caulk, also called sealant, waterproofs gaps between walls and baths or showers, and sometimes turns mouldy. Mould spores exist in all homes, but love humid, dark bathrooms. It can quickly form unsightly patches and smell musty and unpleasant. Keeping bathrooms dry and bright helps prevent mould build-up. Regular removal with home-made, acidic solutions or bathroom cleaning products also keeps mould and mildew under control. Permanently stained sealant is impossible to clean. Replacement is the only solution.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Cleaning solution
- Mould-resistant sealant (if needed)
Wipe walls with a squeegee to remove excess water after every shower or bath. Dry surfaces off with a towel. Open a window or turn on the extractor fan before leaving the bathroom. Remove damp towels.
Clean sealant regularly, at least once a week. Use a cloth dipped in cleaning solution and clean gently. Effective solutions are lemon juice, vinegar, apple cider and 50/50 bleach and water. Leave a few minutes then rinse with clean water. Wipe off excess water.
Scrub stubborn patches with a mixture of vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. Leave for 15 minutes before rinsing off.
Remove permanently stained sealant gently, using a chisel. Use the flat edge of a screwdriver to carefully scrape away final traces. Spray with a mixture of bleach and water and allow to dry. Reseal with fresh, mould-resistant sealant. Allow to set and dry completely before using bath or shower.
Tips and warnings
- Spray sealant with vinegar and leave it to dry once a week to prevent mould growth. Leave blinds open or lights on to keep light levels high, as mould thrives in dark places.
- Don't hang wet laundry in the bathroom as this adds moisture to the atmosphere, encouraging mould growth.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for