StumbleUpon is a content discovery engine enabling its users to find interesting and informative sites on the Web. StumbleUpon does not crawl the Internet for new material but instead links to sites submitted by its users. New sites can be submitted through the "Add a New Page" form or through the Firefox or Chrome extensions. It's also possible to pay for your site to be featured on StumbleUpon.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Sign up for a StumbleUpon account and open the "Add a New Page" form.
Enter the URL of the page you want to link to in the "Web page address" field.
Check the "Yes" box if the page is safe for work or "No" if it contains nudity or other adult content.
Open the "Select an Interest" drop-down and specify the topic that most closely matches the content of the page.
Enter tags to further describe the page and a description in the relevant field. These two steps are optional but give visitors a better idea of the content of the page as well as making it easier to discover the site on the StumbleUpon network.
Click the "Add This Page" button to submit the website to the StumbleUpon directory.
Install the StumbleUpon extension for Chrome or Firefox if you wish to add sites straight from your browser. Click on the relevant extension link on the StumbleUpon Download page to install the extensions. In both browsers you'll need to sign in using your StumbleUpon credentials to use the utility.
Browse to the site you'd like to submit to the StumbleUpon directory and click the "I Like It!" button (you may need to click the StumbleUpon icon on the toolbar first to show it). If the site has not already been submitted, the "Add a New Page" form appears, where you can add details of the webpage.
Tips and warnings
- The amount of traffic generated by StumbleUpon depends on how popular your page is with its users. Sites containing interesting and entertaining content are more likely to be shared and liked across the network.
- If you want a guaranteed traffic boost from StumbleUpon you can join its Paid Discovery scheme. The scheme makes it possible to target specific demographics and ensures a particular number of hits. Prices start from $0.10 (£0.06) per visitor.
- Avoid self-promoting your own work too much. If you recommend too many pages from the same domain this may cause these pages to be ranked lower in StumbleUpon's discovery engine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for