If you live in the UK or the EU (European Union) and you wish to attend a UK university or college, you are liable to pay tuition fees. You can pay these fees by applying for a loan. You can also receive a loan to help you with living costs. Scottish students who attend Scottish universities or colleges are not liable to pay tuition fees. They do not have to apply for a tuition fee loan but can seek a loan for living costs.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Loan application form
- Passport details, or birth or adoption certificate
- Details of your intended course of study
Apply for a student loan from the beginning of the year in which your course begins. The approval process for a student loan can take six weeks or more. It is best to apply well in advance.
Go online to find the application forms for student loans. Each country within the UK has its own website for student loan applications. To locate the website that applies to you, type "student loans" into a search engine followed by your country. For example, "student loans Wales." The gov.uk website has the loan details for English students. Student Awards Agency for Scotland, Student Finance Wales and Student Finance Northern Ireland are the websites for the three remaining jurisdictions.
Read the website overviews of the student loan application process. You can apply for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan. In Scotland, you do not have to apply for a tuition loan for a Scottish college or university. In all four UK countries, you may be able to obtain extra money if you are a medical student, teacher training student or a social work student. Students in special circumstances such as those with children or a disability can also receive additional funding.
Follow the links to the application form. You will also have to set up a password for security purposes. Complete the form using your personal details and the details of your intended course of study.
Complete the "Password details form" if you are a new student. If you do not have a password, complete the "Birth or adoption certificate form." If you are a UK student, you do not need to send your passport with the student loan application form.
Apply for a student loan every year. Your initial application does not cover the duration of the full course of study.
Making an application for a student loan
Tips and warnings
- Take your time when completing the application forms and ask someone to check them. Any errors you make will cause delays in the student loan application process.
- Apply for grants at the same time as you apply for a student loan. Check the websites for your eligibility for grants.
- Do not forget to apply for a student loan each year.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for