Can a housewife file a separate tax return?

Written by autumn st. john
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Can a housewife file a separate tax return?
Many housewives aren’t aware that they may be entitled to tax allowances. (George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images)

Depending on their eligibility, married couples with only one working partner may be missing out on Married Couple Allowance. According to the Government, this allowance could reduce a household’s tax bill by up to £770.50 a year. A housewife or househusband is entirely within their rights to file a tax return in order to see if their family is entitled to the allowance. This is the case regardless of whether the earning spouse files a tax return or has PAYE deducted from their paycheck. Make sure you're registered for self-assessment before completing the tax return.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Things you need

  • Unique Taxpayer Reference number
  • National Insurance number

Show MoreHide


    Online tax returns

  1. 1

    Go to the HMRC website and sign up for Online Services using your Unique Taxpayer Reference number and National Insurance number. Within 7 days HMRC will send an Activation Code to your home address. Use it to activate your account.

  2. 2

    Log into HMRC Online Services using your User ID and password. Go to the Self Assessment Service and fill in form SA100 Self Assessment Tax Return. You can complete the tax return at your own pace, filling in part of it, saving it and returning to it later.

  3. 3

    Submit the form by midnight on 31 January in the year following the relevant tax year. If you want any tax you owe to be collected through your tax code, submit the form by 31 December. If you do want the tax you owe to be collected through your code, check that you've indicated this on the form before submitting the return.

    Paper tax returns

  1. 1

    Order form SA100 Self Assessment Tax Return from HMRC or download it, and any supplementary pages you'll need, from the department's website. If you download the form, be sure to put your Unique Taxpayer Reference number and National Insurance Number on it.

  2. 2

    Fill in the tax return using black ink and capital letters. Leave blank any fields that don't apply to you. If you make a mistake, cross it out and write the correct information underneath the field.

  3. 3

    Post the tax return so that it reaches HMRC by 31 October of the calendar year in which the relevant tax year ends. If you miss this deadline, HMRC may estimate the tax you owe. The address to post the form to is on the information sheet included with the tax return.

Tips and warnings

  • If you’re filling in the tax return specifically to get Married Couple’s Allowance, remember to complete the Married Couple’s Allowance section of the form.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.