Cream leather furniture is classic yet modern and is usually easy to care for. However, the light colour means that every stain shows up. Getting pen ink, such as blue biro, on your ivory cream leather chair is not necessarily a disaster. You can try one technique at home but be careful to experiment on a small section that is hidden, such as the back of the chair. If all else fails, there are specialist ink removers for leather. It is better to be safe than sorry.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Surgical spirit
- Specialist leather ink remover/gel
Use some surgical spirit on a soft cloth on an area of the leather chair that is out of view, such as the back. See if the colour changes. If the colour holds, then rub the cloth carefully over the blue biro. Wash the stained area with a cloth and some mild soap.
Buy some specialist ink remover or ink gel for leather if you are concerned about using surgical spirit or want to be confident that the stain will disappear. Use a leather cleaner on the blue biro. Then put some ink remover for leather on a cotton bud and apply the remover carefully.
Call in a professional leather cleaning specialist if the blue biro on your ivory cream leather chair is extensive and/or does not respond to treatment.
Tips and warnings
- Try to remove the stain when it is "fresh" rather than waiting for a few days.
- Apply leather protection cream to help prevent future biro stains.
- Avoid household products, such as hairspray, nail varnish remover, milk or baby wipes, to remove the ink, even though these products are widely recommended. They can damage the surface of the leather.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for