How to obtain a High Court injunction

Updated February 21, 2017

An injunction is a court order prohibiting someone from committing an act or acts that harms someone else. Injunctions are commonly to stop domestic violence, harassment, unfair dismissal, and the publication of information that will damage someone’s reputation or compromise his safety. Injunctions can be granted by the High Court, magistrates' court or county court, depending on the nature of the injunction and where you live. Some county courts can hear cases on the High Court’s behalf and injunctions related to domestic issues can be in either a county court or the Family Division of the High Court. Seek legal advice before applying for an injunction, to determine if you have a legitimate case, and get help with the application process.


Arrange to have a printed copy of the injunction handed to the person or company it is served upon. The injunction doesn’t take effect until the antagonist receives it. Your solicitor will arrange this on your behalf.

You do not have to pay anything towards your legal costs if you are on state benefits or receive a low income. Visit the Community Legal Services Funding website at for more information about receiving financial assistance.

Things You'll Need

  • Application form
  • Legal representation
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Based in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Elizabeth Burns began writing professionally in 1988. She has worked as a feature writer for various Irish newspapers, including the "Irish News," "Belfast News Letter" and "Sunday Life." Burns has a Bachelor of Arts in English literature from the University of Ulster as well as a Master of Research in arts.