Storage boxes are extremely useful for holding odds and ends, but sometimes are not too exciting to look at. Decorating a storage box can help the owner know what's inside without having to write it on the box, or make a nice decoration in the corner of the room if you are lacking closet space to store the box.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Storage box
- Glue or tape
- Wrapping paper or magazine pictures
Find a box you want to decorate. It can be cardboard or plastic, although plastic will hold up longer. The shape and size does not matter, it just needs to be suitable for whatever materials you will be storing inside.
Collect items with which you wish to decorate the storage box. This could include photos, glitter, ribbon, magazine pictures, stickers, wallpaper or wrapping paper. Make sure you have glue or tape on hand, as you will need one or both to affix the decorations to the box.
Begin arranging your decorations on the box. Start with the sides (unless you intend on decorating the bottom of the box as well, in which case you would start there), then head toward the top of the box. Be sure to use a glue that will dry clear and is a heavy craft glue, especially if you are decorating a plastic box.
Glue the pictures and items to the box in a collage form. Make sure you use just a thin coat of glue for paper items, as thick amounts of glue will cause the paper to wrinkle. Continue this on each side of the box, making sure the corners and edges of each decoration lie flat to the box, and that no paper corners are sticking out on the edges or over the top of the box.
Allow the decorated box to dry for at least a full day. Finally, you will want to coat the box with a glaze that will help hold down all the decorations and give the box a glossy coat. It is best to paint on the gloss coat, as it gives you more control, but it is also available in a spray can, which does the job faster.
Tips and warnings
- Be creative when desiging your box decor. You can use photos, charms, glitter, scrapbooking items, or anything else you see fit to personalise your storage box.
- Don't use too much glue or too many layers of decoration without allowing the first layers to dry first. This will lead to the box staying tacky and won't look as good in the end.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for