Full Scholarships for a Single Parent

Updated March 23, 2017

Full scholarships for single parents provide financial assistance for college-level courses and educational certificates. Scholarship grants are offered by governmental agencies and private sources. Funds are typically available for classes, books and, in some cases, reimbursement of transportation and childcare expenses.

Need-Based Grants

Need-based grants are offered through government programs. Adult learners must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) packet detailing personal and financial information. Monetary awards vary depending upon funds availability and individual need. Awards may also include funds which can be applied to text book purchases, transportation and other expenses related to college attendance.

Merit-Based Scholarships

Merit-based scholarships offer financial assistant in conjunction with need-based awards. Single parents electing to take a course of study in a designated critical need area are eligible for this type of award. While the list of critical need college majors is subject to change, careers based in science, technology and math are typically included. Award amounts are determined on an individual basis, but routinely average £845 per participant (as of 2010).

State and Organizational Grants

State programs and organizational grants offer aid to single parents who meet their specific criteria. Grants allow online and classroom learning. You must provide income information, bank statements, proof of expenses and debt.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Tara Dodrill began writing professionally in 1990. She is a travel writer and photographer working for print and online media, primarily covering Florida, ecotourism and off-the-beaten-path destinations. Her writing credits include RUMBUM, Yahoo News, Visit South magazine,and North Carolina Coastal Guide. She studied journalism and education at Ohio University and real estate at Hondros College.