The hamlet of Edgeley, in Stockport, England, was once dominated by the Sykes family, who owned the local Bleachworks in the 19th century. Today, Edgeley hosts a thriving shopping centre and major English soccer and rugby union clubs.
Early History of Edgeley
In the 13th century, Hamo de Eddiselie is recorded as having given land to his brother in the Eddyshelegh area. The modern spelling of Edgeley can be traced to 1504, when John Bridges of Edgeley became a trustee of Macclesfield Grammar School.
The Sykes Family and Edgeley House
In the 19th century, the Sykes family of Edgeley House employed many local people at the Sykes Bleaching Company and owned much of the area. The Sykes helped to develop the area, providing money for public amenities including Edgeley Park, now home to Stockport County Football Club and Sale Sharks Rugby Club.
Edgeley and Alexandra Park Today
The municipal space now known as Alexandra Park is part of what were the gardens and grounds of Edgeley House, which has now been demolished. Edgeley is still mostly made up of terraced houses from the Victorian era, with some larger properties to be found around Alexandra Park.