Begonias are popular flowers that many people grow in their homes or gardens. However, dog owners must ensure the safety of their animals if they have begonias within easy reach. Begonias are considered poisonous to dogs and can make them quite ill if they eat part of the plant or flower.
Other People Are Reading
Begonias are considered to be poisonous to dogs and cats by the ASPCA . This plant contains insoluble oxalates which provide its toxicity. Insoluble oxalates are derived from oxalic acid, which is one of the strongest organic acids found in plants and fungi. According to the ASPCA, tubers are the most toxic to dogs.
Ingestion of the begonia plant or flower will cause adverse health effects in dogs. The symptoms most commonly associated with begonia ingestion are vomiting, excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing, burning of the mouth and irritation of the tongue, mouth and lips. Tuberous begonias are the most toxic plants in the Begoniaceae family.
To keep your dog safe from poisonous planted outdoors, place a fence around the area where you do not want your dog to enter. Keep dangerous indoor plants in rooms where your dog does not have access. Those who own very curious dogs or puppies, may wish to eliminate all poisonous plants from the home or yard to avoid accidental ingestion.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for