Is Barberry Plant Toxic to Dogs?

Written by tracy hodge
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Is Barberry Plant Toxic to Dogs?
Barberry plant is not toxic to domestic animals. (barberry image by AGphotographer from Fotolia.com)

Barberry plant has been used in years past to treat diarrhoea, relieve upset stomach and improve appetites. The plant is a safe addition to any yard or garden, posing no threat to dogs and other domestic animals.

Other People Are Reading

Identification

Barberry is a shrub that has thorns and may grow to a height of 9 feet. Flowers that are brightly coloured yellow blooms appear between April and June. By fall, the flowers are dark red berries.

Potential

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, although the plant is not toxic to dogs, any animal may experience unpleasant symptoms from ingesting plants.

Effects

Dogs that ingest barberry may develop gastrointestinal symptoms, but not symptoms associated with poisoning. The most common side effects from ingesting plant materials are vomiting, diarrhoea and depression. These symptoms are usually mild, but dogs that exhibit ongoing or severe symptoms should be taken to a veterinarian.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.