Are tulip bulbs poisonous to dogs?

Written by sharon platz
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Are tulip bulbs poisonous to dogs?
Dogs might mistake tulip bulbs as a treat. (pink tulip image by hazel proudlove from Fotolia.com)

Taking the family dog into consideration is a must when planting a garden. Many garden flowers are wonderful to the senses, but toxic to the dog. Dogs are naturally curious and can get into serious trouble if they think your newly planted tulip bulbs are a treat.

Other People Are Reading

Expert Insight

Tulips, particularly the bulbs, are poisonous to dogs, cats and horses. The scientifically named "Tulipa species" contain the toxic principles Tulipalin A and B, warns the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center. The bulb carries the most Tulipalin A and B.

Effects

Dogs that have eaten tulip bulbs suffer serious digestive ailments such as appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhoea and drooling. The canine might also become depressed.

Considerations

African daisies, day lilies and petunias are all nontoxic flowering plant varieties that offer the same colour vibrancy as tulips, without the danger to the family dog. In fact, hundreds of plants are nontoxic to dogs, according to the ASPCA.

Prevention/Solution

Plant a garden full of nontoxic plants and flowers to ensure the dog does not run the risk of ingesting tulip bulbs or any other poisonous plant. If you think your dog has ingested tulip bulbs, take it to the veterinarian immediately. For a fee of £42 per case (as of October 2010), the ASPCA offers a 24-hour emergency hotline at

1-888-426-4435.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.