Is the Sweet Pea Plant Poisonous to Dogs?

Written by tracy hodge
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Is the Sweet Pea Plant Poisonous to Dogs?
Curious puppies often ingest plant leaves. (Tommy image by glass 86 from Fotolia.com)

The Sweet pea plant is a lovely addition to any home garden or yard. However, this plant can cause serious health problems if ingested by dogs. Dog owners who plant sweet pea in their gardens must take special care to ensure their pets' safety.

Other People Are Reading

Identification

Sweet pea is a member of the Papilionaceae family and is an annual. It grows to reach heights of 4 to 6 feet and thrives in full sun. Sweet pea blooms in assorted colours such as rose, pink, red, white and blue.

Potential

Sweet pea is a toxic plant that can cause serious health effects in dogs, cats and horses, according to the ASPCA. Sweet pea contains a substance known as aminoproprionitrite , which gives the plant its toxic effects.

Effects

Dogs that ingest sweet pea often develop symptoms that include pacing, head pressing, weakness and lethargy. According to the ASPCA, ingestion of sweet pea also can lead to seizures, tremors and even death.

Prevention/Solution

Dog owners should contact their veterinarian immediately if they are concerned about sweet pea poisoning. Dogs that receive prompt diagnosis and treatment often have a better chance for a full recovery.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.