Are Jade Plants Poisonous to Dogs?

Written by jackie whalen
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Are Jade Plants Poisonous to Dogs?
Jade plants are toxic to dogs. (Jade Dog image by Kelly Miller from

The jade plant is a houseplant native to South Africa but common in many households in the United States. Despite its beauty, the jade plant is toxic to both dogs and cats.

Other People Are Reading

The Jade Plant

Crassula argentea is the scientific name for the jade plant, which is known as a succulent because it stores water in its leaves, roots and stems. Jade craves bright sunlight and thrives in temperatures between 12.8 and 26.7 degrees Celsius. Other names for the jade plant include the friendship tree and the money plant.

Signs of Toxicity in Dogs

Although the jade plant seems harmless, it can be deadly if consumed by a dog. A dog who has eaten the leaves of a jade plant may exhibit depression, diarrhoea, vomiting and a lack of balance, reports the website If your dog exhibits any of these signs, contact your veterinarian immediately.

ASPCA Animal Control Poison Center

If you are unable to reach your veterinarian and suspect your dog may have eaten a portion of the plant, call the ASPCA Animal Control Poison Center at 888-426-4435. Be prepared to give your dog's breed, age, sex and weight. Tell the operator your dog's symptoms and information regarding the amount of jade plant eaten and how much time has elapsed since ingestion.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.