Whom to Contact If You Lose a Speeding Ticket

Written by toni sherrie
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Whom to Contact If You Lose a Speeding Ticket
A lost speeding ticket isn't a lost cause. (truck speeding down the street image by Larry Roberg from Fotolia.com)

A speeding ticket is a notification issued by a law enforcement officer when you are caught driving too fast. You need the ticket or the information on it in order to respond. If you lose the ticket, you can usually get a copy of it from the police department or courthouse.

Police Department or Sheriff's Office

When a speeding ticket is issued, the officer who issued the ticket has a copy of it. A starting point to get a copy of a lost ticket is the police department or sheriff's office in the jurisdiction the ticket was issued.


You can also contact the courthouse in the city or county where the speeding ticket was issued. The court system will have a record of the ticket, because you have an option to go to court to contest or mitigate the infraction.

If You Don't Respond

You have a certain number of days to respond to a speeding ticket before late fees are added to the fine. Your driver's license could be suspended if you fail to respond. The fine could be turned over to a collection agency, which would lower your credit score.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.