What you can do with a law degree as a social worker?

Written by scarlett carlson
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

Master in social work (MSW) and a juris doctorate (JD) dual degrees have become increasingly sought after. These graduate programs are offered simultaneously at many colleges and universities throughout the country. Generally, a JD/MSW dual degree can be earned in four years.


A JD/MSW dual degree equips recipients with a combination of knowledge in both fields of study. An advantage is held by an individual who assists the public in social work and is able to understand the legal aspects behind circumstances that require the action of the law. Lawyers have a clearer understanding of social service practices when representing clients in family relations or underprivileged individuals receiving services from the state or federal government.


The possession of a degree in both social work and law provides degree holders an edge in a competitive workforce and is more appealing to potential employers. Several aspects of life are intertwined and having a strong foundation of knowledge in multiple areas of human interactions are beneficial.


Potential career paths include family law and/or policy, social welfare and social policy. Mental health facilities, juvenile and family courts, and social service agencies are potential places of employment for a JD/MSW dual degree holder.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.