Nontoxic Waterproof Paint for Pets

Written by richard morgan
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Nontoxic Waterproof Paint for Pets
Colourful dyes can make a dog turn heads. (pinces à cheveux image by Georges Lievre from Fotolia.com)

Once only seen occasionally during exotic grooming pageants, it is becoming commonplace to see pets that have been dyed bright and daring colours. Before dyeing a pet, it is important to know the products being used are safe.

Other People Are Reading

Safety

While safe and non-toxic colourings are available, some products have not been certified as safe for animals and should not be used. Human hair colouring, for example, is not safe to use on pets, as a dog or cat will lick itself and ingest the dye.

Semi-Permanent

Grooming websites usually will have a supply of semi-permanent, pet-friendly dyes available. Most of these products are non-toxic and will not wash off for several weeks, but it is important to make certain they have been approved for use on pets.

Food Coloring

Food colouring provides another safe alternative for dyeing a pet. While the effect might not last as long as the semi-permanent colouring, it is safe for most pets.

Allergies

Occasionally, a pet will have an allergy to even the safest of dyes. In the event a pet is acting strangely after being coloured, a veterinarian should be consulted. If it is an allergic reaction, an antihistamine usually will be prescribed.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.