What Is a Lock Hasp?

Written by brian westover | 13/05/2017
What Is a Lock Hasp?
Padlock hasps and latches. (padlocks image by Andrii Oleksiienko from Fotolia.com)

When you read about locks and lock mechanisms, several terms may be new and confusing. The term "lock hasp" can be especially confusing, because it may refer to more than one thing.

On a Padlock

What Is a Lock Hasp?
The U-shaped metal bar is called the hasp or shackle. (padlock image by JCVStock from Fotolia.com)

The term "lock hasp" may refer to the metal loop protruding from a padlock. On a padlock, the U-shaped metal bar that releases when unlocked is sometimes called the hasp, but it is more commonly referred to as the shackle.

Fastening Latch

What Is a Lock Hasp?
Example of a common hasp fastening latch. (shed padlock image by Nancy Collinge from Fotolia.com)

The term "lock hasp" may also refer to the style of latch most often used with a padlock. This latch uses a strip of metal on a hinge with a hole on the other end. Through this hole passes the staple, which looks similar to a link of metal chain. This staple passes through the hole, and it is secured with a padlock.

Roots and History

The word "hasp" has its origins in Old English and Old High German, and it refers to any sort of fastening latch. This style of latch has been used for centuries, and it may be plain or decorative in design.

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.