Toddler Food Mold Ingestion Side Effects

Written by melody hughes
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

Toddlers will put just about anything in their mouths, even mouldy food. In the event this occurs, most likely the effects will be nonexistent or minimal. However, to be on the safe side observe the toddler for any signs of respiratory or digestive distress in the hours after exposure to mould.

Other People Are Reading

Features

Mold, a type of fungi, grows on food items. In many cases, the mould invades a large area around the actual visible mould. Mold usually appears as a dark coloured, fuzzy spot on the food item.

Effects

Mold can cause respiratory problems when breathed in or an allergic reaction when consumed by toddlers. This reaction may mimic a stomach virus, causing fever, stomach pain and cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting.

Considerations

Toddlers who eat mould may experience no after effects, mild effects or severe effects. Consult a physician if symptoms are severe or persistent.

Prevention

Store perishable foods in the refrigerator with airtight lids. Only allow toddlers to eat bread and cheese before their expiration dates.

Misconceptions

Soft food items such as bread and cheeses should be thrown out if any visible mould is on the surface. Some people may think that cutting off the mouldy portion will suffice, but the mould may have already invaded the rest of the food item.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.