Allergy to hyacinths

Written by krista sheehan
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Allergy to hyacinths
The hyacinth flower can cause allergic reactions when handled or consumed. (hyacinth image by Alison Bowden from Fotolia.com)

The hyacinth is a bulb flower that blossoms in the spring. The bulb, sap and leaves of the hyacinth contain allergenic components. When these components are touched or ingested, they can cause an allergic reaction.

Other People Are Reading

Hyacinth Itch

The hyacinth bulb, sap and leaves contains an oil that contains many toxic elements. When this oil comes in contact with the skin, it can cause a condition known as "hyacinth itch."

Symptoms

According to SpookSpring.com, hyacinth itch can cause a rash, violent itching, inflammation and blisters on the skin. The blisters put the body at risk for further infection.

Ingestion

Hyacinths are also poisonous to humans and cattle, as explained by Weather.com. When consumed, hyacinth bulbs will cause vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach cramps.

Treatment

An allergic reaction to a hyacinth bulb or flower should be treated immediately by washing the area thoroughly with warm water and mild soap. Severe allergic reactions should be referred to a physician for additional treatment.

Prevention

To prevent an allergic reaction, individuals should wear thick gloves while handling a hyacinth bulb or flower. After handling, the hands should be washed thoroughly and dried with paper towels that can be disposed of.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.