Pine cones and pine straw can be dangerous for dogs. Pine oils are known toxins for canines, and pet owners need to use care with these materials in their home and yards.
Other People Are Reading
Pine Straw and Cones
Pine cones, straw and needles are less of a poison to dogs and are more dangerous because of their shape.
Cones, straw and needles pose a risk to a dog because of sharp ends and points, which can perforate or puncture the stomach or intestines if eaten by a dog. Because these objects aren't easily digestible, they can cause blockages in the stomach and digestive tract, which may require surgery.
Pine oil or sap, found in pine needles, is a mild irritant to dogs. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), if a significant quantity of pine needles are ingested, a dog may experience "gastrointestinal irritation and minor nervous system depression."
Pine Cleaning Products
Chemically processed pine oils and essences found in cleaning products, such as disinfectants and sanitisers, are toxic to dogs. Doses as small as 0.5 millilitre per pound of body weight can be fatal. If ingested, symptoms range from mouth irritation (in the mucus membranes) to eye pain, vomiting or retching to muscle weakness and difficulty walking or, in severe cases, coma and death.
If you suspect your dog has ingested pine oil, pine cleaning products, or pine cones, needles or straw, contact a veterinarian immediately. Make sure the dog has access to water, but do not attempt to induce vomiting, as it can cause additional damage or can worsen symptoms.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for