What Are the Dangers of Lava Lamps?

Written by rebekah richards
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

A lava lamp can be an attractive and fun decoration, but it can also be dangerous if used improperly. If you don't carefully follow the safety rules, your lava lamp could catch fire or explode.

Other People Are Reading

Avoid Clutter

Keep the area around your lava lamp free of clutter that could catch fire, including books, stray papers or posters.

Time Frame

Leaving your lava lamp on too long can cause it to overheat, increasing its chances of becoming a fire hazard.

Considerations

Your lava lamp may be overheating if the lava liquid has stopped flowing and is resting at the bottom of the glass.

Touching the Lamp

Never touch a lava lamp that is turned on or has been used recently. Lamps become hot and can cause severe burns.

Warning

Never put a lava lamp on a heated stove, even if your lava lamp is not heating properly. Overheated lamps can explode. Never unplug your lava lamp if the cord or plug is wet.

Toxicity

The liquid inside lava lamps is non-toxic, so it will not poison children or pets.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.