Is lime fertilizer poisonous to animals?

Written by nicole leboeuf-little
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Is lime fertilizer poisonous to animals?
Horses can be poisoned by grazing too soon in pastures treated with lime fertiliser. (Image by, courtesy of Elisabeth)

Lime is used to sweeten, or reduce the acidity of, the soil. The details of a given lime product's manufacturing determine whether it presents a poison hazard to your pets and livestock.

Other People Are Reading

Agricultural Lime

Powdered limestone rock, also known as agricultural lime, isn't considered toxic.

Quick Lime

Heating lime produces the more reactive quick lime (burnt lime). It can irritate the skin, so keep it out of the reach of pets and small children.

Calcium Cyanamide

Also knows as lime fertiliser or lime nitrogen, calcium cyanamide irritates the skin, eyes and respiratory tract, is toxic to humans and animals, and has demonstrated moderate to high acute toxicity from oral and dermal exposure in test animals.


To prevent accidental poisoning, either store lime fertiliser off the floor where dogs can't get at it, or in dog-proof containers. Sweep up spills promptly.


Horses should be removed from pastures where lime fertiliser is being applied and not returned until at least 1/2 inch of rainfall has occurred to wash the substance off all leaf surfaces.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.