Many people microwave water in plastic cups because it is convenient. However, there are some health risks related to placing plastics in microwaves.
Other People Are Reading
Microwaves heat water faster than conventional ovens. Because of the rapid increase in water temperature when heated, bubbles do not form when water is boiled in microwaves. Because no bubbles are formed, the water retains a high degree of heat.
Make sure you don't set the microwave time for too long when microwaving a plastic cup of water. If water is overheated in the microwave, water may spew out of the cup, like an eruption, causing serious skin burns and scalding injuries. In addition, overheating may melt the plastic into the water.
Type of Plastic
Some plastic containers should not be used in a microwave oven. Plastics made of polycarbonate, polystyrene or polyvinyl chloride may contain trace amounts of toxins. High density polythene, low density polythene and polypropylene are types of plastics safer for food and drink.
Toxic chemicals such as Bisphenol A may leach out from the plastic into the water when heated. According to researchers at the National Toxicology Program, Bisphenol A has oestrogen-like effects, which may disrupt the endocrine system, cause neurological developmental problems and even cause cancer.
As an alternative to plastics, water should be heated in a microwave-safe glass or ceramic container.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for