Is a lavender plant poisonous to dogs?

Written by teri webster
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Is a lavender plant poisonous to dogs?
Lavender is not toxic to dogs. (Image by Flickr.com, courtesy of Fred)

Savvy dog owners know that some plants found in homes and gardens can be toxic to pets. But lavender plants are not poisonous to dogs. In fact, lavender can be viewed as having some health benefits for dogs.

Other People Are Reading

Features

The purple flowers of a lavender plant have a lemon-like flavour that is pleasing to some dogs. Dogs are not likely to eat an entire lavender plant because of its unusual texture, according to Colorado Gardening, an online magazine.

Dog Treats

Pet supply stores sell dog biscuits and other treats that contain lavender flowers. A benefit of lavender is that it can have a calming effect on some dogs. For example, a pet owner can rub the oil from lavender flowers on a dog collar to provide a form of aromatherapy.

Considerations

Lavender plants attract bees. If you grow lavender in your garden, your dog could get stung if she comes around.

Pesticides

Do not allow your dog to chew on lavender plants treated with pesticides. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, some pesticides are linked to health problems.

Warning

Ask your veterinarian for advice before giving lavender to your dog. A trip to the vet might be required if your dog eats a large quantity of lavender or has an adverse reaction. This can include excessive scratching, vomiting or diarrhoea.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.