Mini schnauzers are small dogs that originate from Germany. They are known for their distinctive appearance and calm, friendly temperament. They often make good family dogs. Schnauzers are generally easy to train and have charismatic personalities, which makes them a favourite dog for breeders. If you own a miniature schnauzer puppy, it's important to feed it the right amount of quality food.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Wean your puppy after 8 weeks. Do not collect your puppy before it is fully weaned, for it won't be ready to make a full transition to solid food.
Find out what the breeders fed the puppy. Some breeders will provide a small amount of food for you to feed the puppy until you can buy your own. Mix this with the new food you purchase to make the transition easier on the puppy.
Purchase a cereal-based puppy food, puppy milk and general puppy food. Different brands and flavours will taste different for your dog, but most puppies will quickly adapt to a new food. Most pet shops have a wide range of foods, including organic.
Set a feeding schedule. Feed the cereal-food mixed with warm puppy milk in the morning and evening. Lunch should consist of general puppy food soaked in milk. Feed the amount specified on the back of the food package. Prepare meals about an hour in advance so the food absorbs milk and becomes soft and warm. Offer food in the same bowl, in the same place each time.
Tips and warnings
- Make sure the puppy food is complete, especially if you are using tinned food. Complete dog foods will contain all the nutrients your puppy needs, while others could leave it with a deficiency. If you aren't sure, discuss the food with your vet.
- Observe your puppy's toileting habits. Some dogs are sensitive to some foods, which can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. If this occurs, consult your veterinarian and consider switching foods.
- Do not offer your puppy cow's milk. Dogs cannot digest cow's milk, and it can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and pain. Always use puppy milk.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for