The History of Puch Mopeds

Written by paul cartmell
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

Steyr-Puch of Austria was founded by master bicycle-maker Johann Puch in the late 19th century. The company manufactured its first motorcycle in 1903 and continued production under different guises until 1987.

Other People Are Reading


By the time founder Johann Puch retired in 1912, the company was producing motorcycles, automobiles and bicycles. Puch produced its first moped in 1952.


The first Puch moped was the MS-50, which was sold almost unaltered throughout the world until 1982.


The MS-50, or Baby Puch as it was known, changed the way mopeds were manufactured from a bicycle-based design to a design that was closer to a motorcycle. The MS-50 introduced to moped production the fan-boosted engine cooling system and two-speed handlebar gearbox.


In the late 1950s, the Sears catalogue company exported Puch mopeds to the U.S. It marketed the Puch mopeds under the Allstate insurance banner.


The Puch company merged with automobile producers Steyr and Austro Daimler in 1934 to create the Steyr-Daimler-Puch brand.


In 1987, Italian moped and motorcycle manufacturer Piaggio, which also owns the Vespa brand, bought Puch. Piaggio closed the Puch factory and halted production of its mopeds upon purchasing the company.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.