Rat poison is one of the deadliest things your pet can get a hold of and if it is anywhere in reach they will find it. There is no such thing as 'pet-safe' rat poison. Rat poison is a bait, used to attract animals and kill them, this includes pets. It then causes internal bleeding and hemorrhaging that sometimes can not be detected for days. In most cases pet ingestion of rat poison is fatal.
Other People Are Reading
Rat poison, also known as rodenticide, generally contains warfarin. Warfarin stops the ability for blood to clot, which causes internal hemorrhaging that can be severely painful in humans and animals.
If it is necessary to use rat poison in an area, make sure it is an area not inhabited by pets or children. The smell and taste will draw most animals to the poison, even if hidden.
If your pet has ingested rat poison it will become weak, possibly vomit blood, have diarrhoea with blood, bleed through its nose and could have a distended, bloated looking stomach from internal bleeding. If you notice any of this your pet should be taken to the veterinarian immediately.
Not many pets survive ingestion of rat poison. By the time symptoms are noticeable it is too late to have your pet regurgitate it. The best thing to do, as soon as the possibility that rat poison has been consumed by a pet, is to call your veterinarian. There has been evidence that vitamin K has been used successfully with rat poison victims.
There are other ways to trap intruders such as rats that are not as harmful to pets. Rat traps are the most popular solution.
Even if you use rat poisoning in an area a pet cannot get to, the animal that has ingested it could come in contact with your pet. For instance if a rat who has ingested the poison dies in your backyard, your pet may find that before you, ingest the dead animal and poison, and receive secondary poisoning.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for