Boracare Termite Treatment

Written by connie s owens Google
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Boracare Termite Treatment
Bora-Care will destroy three types of termites. (delicious ants image by Grigory Kubatyan from Fotolia.com)

Bora-Care is an insecticide, fungicide and a termiticide used as a pretreatment in newly constructed homes and offered as an alternative to traditional termite treatments. Bora-Care treats decay fungi, at least three types of termites and prevents reinfestation. Bora-Care is listed as a natural defence against termites and carpenter ants.

Other People Are Reading

Ingredients

Bora-Care is made with 40 per cent disodium octaborate tetrahydrate, the active ingredient. The other 60 per cent are inert ingredients. The federal government defines inert ingredients as ingredients included to increase the effectiveness of the active ingredient; it does not mean nontoxic. At this time, inert ingredients do not have to be listed by name. Disodium octaborate tetrahydrate is also called a borate salt.

Function

The list of insects that Bora-Care eliminates and prevents include carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, old house bores and drywood, subterranean and Formosan termites. Bora-Care is also a preventive and treatment for fungi and drywood rot.

Boracare Termite Treatment
Bora-Care may prevent wood rot. (souches d'arbres 19 image by Hubert Isselée from Fotolia.com)

Use

Bora-Care is mixed with water. Application methods include sprays, brushes and rollers. The most common delivery method is with a spray container designed specifically for applying insecticides. The mix ratio is generally 1 to 1---one gallon water and one gallon of Bora-Care yields 23 per cent disodium octaborate tetrahydrate. This mix is used to destroy fungi and termites when applied directly to the wood and allowed to soak in.

Precautions

Wear protective clothing and use in a well-ventilated area when applying Bora-Care. Use protective eyewear and chemical-resistant gloves. Keep out of reach of children, do not use on or around food storage or food preparation surfaces. Bora-Care is harmful if inhaled or swallowed or comes into contact with skin or eyes. Flush the skin if exposed; use cool water to flush eyes. If inhaled, get to fresh air immediately, and seek medical attention if required. To clean tools, skin and clothing, use soap and water.

Boracare Termite Treatment
Use chemically treated gloves to apply Bora-Care. (rubber gloves image by AGphotographer from Fotolia.com)

Environment

Do not dump Bora-Care into waterways or spray directly onto plants, crops or animals. Use caution when applying in and around plants; if possible, cover the ground of the surrounding area to be treated. Bora-Care may kill or retard trees, shrubs and other plants. Store in a safe, cool and dry place away from animals and children. To dispose of containers, triple rinse and offer for recycling. The container may be burnt in an incinerator, but stay away from the smoke.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.